Friday, September 21, 2007

What are they?

I had a short conversation with a person today whilst waiting in line. I was dressed quite casually, the exchange went something like this:

Her: "I really like your shoes - they are so cute"
Me: "Thank you - they're so comfortable"
Her: "What are they?" With an earnest expression on her face
Me: A little perplexed by the question. I had some idea of what she was asking - but thought it was ridiculous and honestly hadn't looked at who the shoe designer was ...and without thinking about it said "Shoes" ..with giggles coming from the other ladies standing around - although, I didn't mean to be smart.
Her: little nervous laugh, "oh, I was just wandering who they are by"
Me: wondering what the heck is this... the red carpet/spanish inquisition, with a little laugh myself, I said "I don't know - I really don't pay much attention to that stuff"
Her: "Oh, it's just your whole outfit looks so J.Crewish.."
Me: thinking ...oh, really ... I wasn't sure what to say but politely said "Thank you"

This particular crowd is quite pretentious. Maybe next time she'll ask per Joan Rivers "Who are you wearing", to which I'll innocently have to answer
"Mr. Clothes" :)

Surely, there are other ways to break the ice..

No comments: